Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Angulo Shaka Continues to Meet Expectations

Monday August 20, 2012 - New Brighton to Sewer Peak Channel RT (low route). I didn't have my Sports Tracker with me today, but the route was about 5.5 miles. I did the first 2.75 mile, into the wind first leg in 33-37 minutes. Calculated out that's to 4.5 to 5 mph into a light headwind averaging about 3 mph. I was working hard and steady but not really pouring on the coals and I'm happy with this time and pace given that the Shaka is not specifically billed as a flat water racer. 

Today's time was better than any other time I've posted ever, and any time posted on my 12-6 Surftech Bark Competitor. I rested for a few minutes in the channel and then paddled back steady but relaxed, concentrating on what I think is good technique, and paddling about 70% of maximum energy. My overall time was about 1 hour 15 minutes which calculates out to 4.4 mph. Again, a very satisfactory and acceptable time for a board that is not designed for the racing circuit.

At 28.8 pounds the production Shaka is durable and an excellent all-around paddler for rough water, (especially) downwinders, social racing, touring and family activities. An active recreational and fitness paddler could do a race in the morning, a downwinder in the afternoon and then meet the family at the take-out point beach for more family paddling and fun.

For the more serious racer, hopefully Ed and the Angulo movers and shakers will bring the all-carbon Double Shaka to market sooner than later. But my guess is that if an eager paddler wanted to buy one they could get a one-off custom Angulo Double Shaka with just a little bit of arm twisting.

If that's something you're interested in you can get the contact info from the Angulo website.

No comments:

Post a Comment