Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Monday, December 1, 2008

Big Swell Fades Leaving Leftovers

After resting yesterday I wanted to get at least an hour's worth in before class today. I love dawn patrol and even though I knew the tide would be too high, I paddled out anyway. Life is full of surprises though, and after a lackluster session that yielded small waves and short rides with a few fast sections, I hooked into the longest ride I've ever had at GW's. This slightly overhead peeler lined up and unwound from main peak GDubs to Inside Sarge's non-stop, some 400 yards. Sometimes you're in the right place at the right time, and sometimes you're not. Today, of the three of us, I was.

As a side note: the big swell did nothing to remove any of the kelp that I could see. James at Freeline said it takes a big NW to wipe out kelp, the last was a big WNW. I thought he was full of it, but it looks like he was right.

Forgot I had the big center fin in too, and sure enough, I got knocked off a couple times by kelp stoppages. Still though, I'm enjoying the drive and pivot turns the cutaway provides.
Dec 1, 2008 (M)
In: 0705
Out: 0815
AT= 45.6F to 45.2F
WT= 55F
Wx: Clear and sunny with a huge fog bank sitting right offshore
Tide: 3.7' Rising to 4.3'
Wind: Variable calm to light offshore
Sea Surface: Glassy with light high tide backwash
10-2 Angulo SUP with Infinity Ottertail paddle
Fin set-up: 2+1 with Future 9" Cutaway center fin and Future Quad 340 side bites
Bathymetry: Reefs
CDIP: Deep Water Swell (OOS)
CDIP: Wave Face Heights (OOS)
Buoy: NWS (Nearshore)
0600: 5.6 feet @ 15.4 W
0700: 6.2 feet @ 15.4 WNW
0800: 6.2 feet @ 15.4 WNW

No comments:

Post a Comment