Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Fun SUP Surfing In Between Systems and Classes

The last storm system and teaching my EMT classes was the ball and chain that kept me out of the water for almost a week. I finally broke free from classes this afternoon, and vowed, at the very least, to go for some kind of paddle. Getting out on the ocean was the main aim. If there were waves, great. If not, then it would just feel good to get back out there!

What a nice surprise this 1.5 hour session turned out to be. Real consistent 2-4 ft. fun waves in glassy, tide rising conditions. According to my fearless prognostication, there was a small mixed swell in water of short period and long period swell. No real ground swell was out there, but the morphodite swell combo put up some very fun waves, especially after having nothing for almost a week.

I first checked the beaches and found that it was too big, made that way mostly by the lower tide. So I thought I'd better check town. Truthfully, I just wasn't up for the workout/beating I knew I was going to take if I hung at the beaches. Some very good shortboarders that I know were checking it, and they weren't paddling out so I figured they were waiting for the tide, or just waiting.

I beat feet for town and paddled out at Sarges around 1645 into a light and decreasing southwest wind. Joanna was out with two other guys and right off the bat I picked up a couple insiders. Fun, but pretty soft on the inside reefs. Casa's and GW's were looking pretty good, with one friendly shortboarder sitting on the main peak at Casa's picking up some nice sections. I headed for the peak in between Casa's and GW's and was immediately rewarded with a couple nice, long rides through the Casa section. Rode that for 45 minutes by myself, picking up numerous fast sections and long rides, a couple all the way to Sarges and one double past the nudie beach. That one was about a 600 yard ride...sweet!

Surfing and paddling was non-stop for an hour when it slowed a bit and I found myself waiting around, enjoying the scenery and the light of a beautiful evening. The crowd picked up a bit at Gdubs, but never got obnoxious. Near twilight I paddled back down to Sarges and finished the session in the dimming light. Picked up a nice shot of James on his Pope bisect in the almost darkness.

This session will probably have to last a while. I teach again all day tomorrow, and then another weather system is supposed to bear down on us this weekend.
Feb 19, 2009 (Th)
In: 1645
Out: 1815
AT= 60F to 54F
WT= 54F
Wx: Clear and sunny with some high clouds
Tide: 1.7' Rising to 2.9'
Wind: Light southwesterlies to calm to light offshores
Sea Surface: Mostly glassy with some high tide bump late in the session
10-2 Angulo SUP with Infinity Ottertail carbon fiber paddle
Fin set-up: Thruster with K2D2 4.75" center fin (fourth mark up from back) and Future Fiberglass YU (actual fin not shown)
Bathymetry: Rock reefs
Deep Water Swell and Wave Face Heights CDIP Archive
Buoy: NWS (Nearshore)
1600: 3.6 feet @ 10.5 WSW (2-4 ft. occasional 5 ft. face)
1630: 3.3 feet @ 15.4 W
1700: 3.6 feet @ 10.5 WSW (2-4 ft. occasional 5 ft. face)
1730: 3.9 feet @ 15.4 W
1800: 3.6 feet @ 15.4 W (2-4 ft. occasional 5 ft. face)
1830: 3.9 feet @ 11.1 WSW

No comments:

Post a Comment