Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Friday, September 28, 2007

Cool Weather - Small Waves



As the NWS forecasters are so fond of saying, "what a difference a day makes!" Just looking at the pics tells the story.

I SUP paddled out in the inky gray pre-dawn. I even lingered on the beach, adding a few extra stretches, as I waited for more light to illuminate my way. I pulled into GW's about 0655 and hooked up with a small line. The kelp was ferocious, ending my first three rides in full body dunkings. The fourth wave was bigger so I escaped the grasping stalks by taking the high line, ending up well inside for a nice long ride. Surfed by myself for half an hour before a lay down paddler joined me.

The south is pretty much gone, replaced by a westerly pulse of some sort. Although the numbers look good on the buoy, there were really no sets of waves, no wave trains. Just loners. In just under an hour I managed to snag ten waves so I was happy. Just being out on the SUP is good exercise, good training and good fun. Catching waves is the icing on the cake.
September 28, 2007 (F)
In: 0640
1st Wave: 0655
Out: 0800
Wave count: 10
WT=60
AT=58
Wx: High overcast, complete cloud cover with some light mist.
Tide: Rising (1.7' to 2.8')
Wind: Light onshore
Sea Surface: Glassy
Buoy: NWS
0600: 3.6 @ 16 WNW
0700: 3.6 @ 16 WNW
0800: 3.9 @ 16 WNW
0900: 3.9 @ 16 WNW
10'4" Angulo SUP
Reefs: Rock and sand
Waves: 3' @ 14.9 (approx. ave.) Storm Surf Buoy Model

No comments:

Post a Comment