Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Saturday, September 15, 2007

New Factor: Wind


Brother Firefighter Joe and my Maldives trip buddy contacted me yesterday with the news that he got a 12 foot Angulo SUP a couple weeks ago. He's using it primarily as a free diving platform (Joe is a world class free diver) from which he bags his catches of white sea bass from his "secret" locations offshore. He hasn't surfed it a lot yet but when the waves come he'll be on it.

After a busy morning yesterday I SUPed for about an hour and a half in the late afternoon, launching at Capitola Pier and heading into the wind which was blowing briskly out of the NW. There was only a light chop on the water surface so that wasn't bad but the body as sail was a new challenge. After I made my way to a spot where something like waves were breaking, I found that if I didn't constantly stay paddling into the wind then the wind would just blow me backwards...an interesting feeling. The good news was that I just absolutely hauled ass heading back...downwind.

No comments:

Post a Comment