Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Sunday, October 5, 2008

After Storm WNW Pumps It Up

Finally, the first good size waves of the season rolled through all the spots right on time. And, just in time for me to get my first surf in on the new Angulo 10-2 "Perfect Wave".

Paddled out into a clear peach sunrise at 0642. I settled for a short surf before church because I knew that was all I was going to get this day. Tide was high-ish at 3.5 but the almost ground swell had enough energy and push to be firing very well across all the reefs from Scimi's to Nudie Beach Reef. Everyone was on it, all the regulars and all the weekend warriors too. But the cool thing is that so many reefs were going off the crowd just spread out, and no one place was really too packed. Also, smaller waves were breaking nicely on the inside, so small groups of people were setting up on them, able to move out of the way when the bigger sets came through.

Surf was consistently in the chest high range, sets produced some overhead waves. Surf was lined up sweet, with many reefs producing makeable down the line bowls. I got a couple from Casa Roja to inside Sarges, and I saw one shortboarder rip down the line with good speed from GDubs to Inside Sarges. He was stoked and so was I!

The new Angulo completely exceeds my expectations. Ed has come up with a design that is fast, loose, maneuverable and a stable, quick paddler too. Eureka, we have found the Holy Grail. More coming on this later.

M and I are leaving for the Sacred Craft Conference on Tuesday. We'll meet up with Andy, Ed and the Boyz somewhere around Ventura I'm told. I"m looking forward to meeting Ed. Be gone a week. Wouldn't it be nice to bag some hurricane driven SoCal swell? Pray for surf!
Oct 5, 2008 (Su)
In: 0642
Out: 0800
AT= 49.6F to 52.4F
WT= 58F at the nearshore buoy
Wx: Clear and sunny
Tide: 3.4' Rising to 3.5'
Wind: Light semi-moderate offshore
Sea Surface: Light wind ripples with moderate backwash bump
Buoy: NWS
0600: 10.5 feet @ 12.9 WNW
0700: 10.5 feet @ 13.8 W
0900: 10.2 feet @ 13.8 WNW
1000: 9.8 feet @ 12.9 WNW
10'2" Angulo SUP with Infinity Ottertail paddle
Fin set-up: 2+1 with Angulo 9.5" center and Future SB1 sides
Bathymetry: Rock reefs
CDIP: (0700 hours) 8.4 feet at 12 seconds from 295 degrees and 2.3 feet at 14 seconds from 185 degrees

No comments:

Post a Comment