Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Friday, October 24, 2008

Small Waves and Continuing Good Wx

I was most disappointed in today's waves. Expecting a bump up in the surf, the NW swell, which is definitely in the water, just seemed to miss my spots. Meanwhile a well known, WQS class surf contest was going off across town, with o-head waves ripped to shreds by the pros.

Paddled out at low tide and headed to Yellow House hoping for a few small zippers. Took the Angulo 10' proto-noserider, in hopes of bagging some long nose rides on small walls. The board works unreal. Very stable, easy to ride, turns hard off the tail and floats across sections while perched on the tip. Yellow House waves were wrapping hard and pushing the rider back into the cliff and kelp bed, so I headed to Sarges pretty quick for the remainder of the two hour session.

Caught a ton of waves all alone, riding inside. Everyone was sitting way too far outside, and I picked off a lot of inside waves inside the main point. Take-offs were steep, the board handled it well, and while there were some walls to nose ride, most waves were mushing out inside. Bigger waves would close out and the 10-foot custom would glide underneath the sections smoothly and without incident. The big, high volume fin works great for nose riding, and did not impede the looseness of the board, but it was a major kelp catcher in the small surf. A little more size would help things and lift the board over the veggie tentacles.

Bottom line on the custom noserider: I want one.

8 comments:

  1. That's a cool photo with the light shining on the water. So SUP drops in on prone drops in on SUP... who's to blame these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeow, noserider, cool. Any chance it's going to come in any longer sizes?

    BTW: sweet way to wrap your paddle to the board as a handle. Got to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ef,

    The noserider is an Angulo custom so I'm sure he'd be glad to make one in whatever size you wanted. One of the really nice things about epoxy custom over production is that Ed can keep the weight down. For us little guys (me at 155 lbs.) this is a major advantage because swing weight is reduced so much, therefore increasing my ability to push the board around more responsively. The board is amazingly easy to stand on, surf and control. Depending upon your weight and size, you might not want to go much smaller than 10 feet. Send me an email and we'll set up a time for you to take the board out and try it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mash,

    Good to hear from you and long time no see! I really enjoyed meeting John at Sacred Craft and wished I could have spent more time with him. He is a very cool guy. I guess it runs in the family eh?

    Did you get some good waves when you were surfing together in IB? I want to get a full report from you on John's new stick. I got to see it in person and all I can say is..."How much does John weight? He's riding that little pocket rocket? Rad!" See ya out there Sunday/Monday bro'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What will it take to get me a ride on that @ngulo noserider? That thing looks sweet! I'm thinking about dawn at Sarge's, but it might be a longboard kinda day if the swell peaks like it's supposed to. It's booming outside my window tonight, and NB looks great when I got home from fishing at around 5:30 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the demo offer; sadly, i live on the east coast so it's a no go ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was super fun and John's board was magic! I already ordered my custom! 9'2 x 29 x 4 1/8. Gotta sell my Angulo to get it so if you know anyone send el my way!

    ReplyDelete