Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Monday, July 13, 2009

Taking the World By (Shit)Storm

I love it when Summer finally arrives with hot temps, balmy breezes and warmer water. But when I saw the surf forecast was for 1 - 2 ft. glassy mushburgers, I panicked. I wasn't prepared. My quiver was dangerously anemic to take on this new Summer challenge.

That's when I grabbed the phone and called the China Beach Surf, Appliance and Grocery Shop. My anxiety mounted as the voice on the other end of the line answered. "I was wondering if Lik Mi Dong is working today," I said with hopeful anticipation. What if he was out of town surfing some mysto Cardiff Pipes break, or down in LA ripping the mushburgers at Zuma? "Yeah, I'll get him." I was elated!

"This is Lik, whaddya want?" Lik's degree of sarcasm was palpable, but that's what you get when you've shaped millions of boards for the Yangtze River Surf Club, and others like it. "Lik, I'm desperate," I pleaded," I need a board. "The beaches are going off and I've got nothing in my quiver that can handle mushburgers like your one-off times two million 6-0 ShitStorm."

"Look pal," Lik sneered, "Everyone needs a board now for these hot summer conditions and waves. I can see by your caller ID that you're from Surf City. Well screw Surf City, you all think you're so hot. But, I dig your pathetic little blog so what I'm gonna do is set aside ShitStorm number 243,756. I'll even sign it...by sneezing on it. Ha-ha, later you kook!"

I was so stoked! I had talked to the MAN himself and one of the rare CBSAG boards was mine. Move over surf punks, I'm about to rule the mush! I sped down to the shop as fast as my skinny fossil legs would carry me, and there it was. Gleaming under cellophane shrink wrap. The ShitStorm! I grabbed it and together with my surfing gear headed straight for the beaches and the looming 1 - 2 ft. mushburgers that were awaiting me.

I was in heaven. Never has a board performed so well in it's "almost surfboard" category. One step up from a sponge and several hundred down from a custom. But it was mine and for today, I ruled the mush.
July 13, 2009 (M)
In: 1245
Out: 1345
AT= 65.5 - 71.1F
WT= 54.1F
Wx: Sunny with clear skies
Tide: 3.4'-4.2' Rising
Wind: Calm to very light onshore
Sea Surface: Glassy with light windswell chop
6-0 CBSAG Shop ShitStorm Ripper Thruster surfed as a twin fin.
Bathymetry: Sandy beach break
Deep Water Swell and Wave Face Heights CDIP Archive
Buoy: NWS (Farshore*)
Time NDBC Data (approx.) CDIP Data
1100: 4.3 feet @ 7.1 NW (310 and 170) (1-2 ft. wave faces)
1200: 4.3 feet @ 7.1 NW (305 and 175) (1-2 ft. wave faces)
1300: 4.9 feet @ 7.1 NW (300 and 175) (1-2 ft. wave faces)
1400:3.6 feet @ 7.7 NW (300 and 175) (1-2 ft. wave faces)

No comments:

Post a Comment