Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Monday, October 8, 2007

Changin' Weather; Changin' Fins






This morning's dawn was saturated with color. My early AM pics do not reflect the intense beauty of the earthly show. Just prior to paddling out at 0653 the sun ignited a series of puffball clouds and turned them into cotton balls of deep orange fire. I paddled out with that as my view. A massive fog bank, looking like a giant desert sand storm from my angle at the Point, tried to invade the clear still morning but couldn't overcome the sun's heat.

Stopped by GW's and caught only one very small wave, but that was OK because what I really wanted to try out this morning was my new fin configuration. Last night I swapped out the 9" RFC for my 7'6" shlong's 5" RFC hoping that the shorter fin would be smoother in the kelp. I was concerned that the board wouldn't surf as well with the smaller fin. So I made it my business to paddle though every kelp bed I could find. And even though I only got two waves total today (got my second one after a long paddle over to the Point) it was enough to indicate that the board was going to surf just fine...maybe even better than before, with much improved navigation of the kelp beds. The waves today were very small and inconsistent. Basically "NSOI," that is, "No Swell Of Interest."

The 10'4" Angulo is a SUP built to surf. It is loose and pumpable, even with the 9" fin. I don't think the smaller fin will have any negative effects on the board although it may in really steep faces. I can hardly wait to find out! The board handles and turns with the paddle much, much easier with the 5" fin than the 9". So overall, a very good and exciting fin change.

An early season rain is forecast for Tuesday night. Hopefully some wind somewhere will blow up some waves for us, although the computer generated water vapor satellite loop shows a surprising absence of wind aimed at us. Tide lower in the morning now so we'll undoubtedly get something. (Hope Springs eternal, especially in the Fall.) And with the new lower profile fin the kelp won't be as big an issue.

Richard was out SUPing this morning. He jumps off his board about 75 yards offshore, freestyles into the beach and back and then goes for a long paddle to NB's and environs. A great workout.
October 8, 2007 (M)
In: 0653
1st Wave: 0707
Out: 0805
Wave count: 2
WT=56
AT=53
Wx: Clear and bright with scattered clouds
Tide: 2.86 Rising to 3.9'
Wind: Light offshores
Sea Surface: Glassy to Lightly textured with occasional backwash bump
Buoy: NWS
0600: 3.6 @ 10 NW
0700: 4.3 @ 9.1 NW
0800: 4.3 @ 10 WNW
0900: 3.9 @ 14.8 S
10'4" Angulo SUP
Reefs: Rock and sand
Waves: 2' @ 14.3 (approx. ave.) Storm Surf Buoy Model

No comments:

Post a Comment