Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Los Tres Angulonians






I could barely see when I launched this morning. The rain is coming and I thought it might arrive early judging by the dark overcast clouds that lined the sky horizon to horizon. There were sets at Sarges as I paddled out from the cove, and I knew there would be something at GWs. Tide was low coming up. I surfed alone for an hour and a half before being joined by Michael and Mash for the final hour. I stopped counting waves caught after 20 which I had in the first hour fifteen.

The highlight of the morning was trading boards with Mash. We swapped SUPs and I rode his 11'9" Angulo Nui while he rode my 10'4" Angulo Olohe. The Nui (Hawaiian definition = "big") is much more stable than the Olohe and has the glide. It's really like riding a true longboard, whereas the Olohe is more like a shortboard. I thoroughly enjoyed the Nui and had fun surfing it, walking all over it and even cross-stepping on a couple nice (but small) walls. Mash was enthusiastic about the Olohe and surfed it well. After the tide filled in a backwash developed. The Nui remained steady and stable as the bumps rolled back out to sea from the cliffs. It's a great wave catching board too, it seems like there isn't anything you can't chase down on the Nui. I also like how it stays in a straight line when you paddle it. You can lay down half dozen or so strokes before you even have to think about changing sides.

Michael brought his waterproof camera with him and took the pics posted here. Thanks Michael!

Hopefully the storm will blow through quickly tonight and leave some nice waves for tomorrow morning's SUPing although the buoy readings have dropped steadily throughout the day.
October 9, 2007 (Tu)
In: 0645
1st Wave: 0658
Out: 0915
Wave count: 20+
WT=55
AT=54
Wx: Dark heavy overcast with good visibility
Tide: 2.48 Rising to 4.5'
Wind: Early onshores to moderate offshores
Sea Surface: Glassy to Lightly textured with backwash bump later
Buoy: NWS
0600: 6.2 @ 11.4 NW
0700: 5.9 @ 11.4 NW
0800: 5.6 @ 11.4 NW
0900: 5.2 @ 10.8 NW
10'4" Angulo SUP
Reefs: Rock and sand
Waves: 4.5' @ 12 (approx. ave.) Storm Surf Buoy Model

No comments:

Post a Comment