Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Friday, October 26, 2007

Windy and Small





Paddled out around 2:25PM from the pier into a strong NW wind blowing down from the Point. Figured out pretty quick that in order to make any headway I was going to have to tack into the wind, like a sailboat. The normally 10 minute paddle took 20 minutes. No surprise really.

Even though the numbers on the buoy looked halfway decent the swell wasn't filling in and the waves were small, really small. The windswell was blowing right by the Bay, aimed more at Hawaii, and not at us. Tide was out too making for lots of exposed kelp. I had to paddle continuously in order to stay in the same spot, or anywhere near the line up, which was somewhat irrelevant as the waves were breaking in various locations not necessarily related to the normal lineups. No matter. It was great practice in demanding conditions.

Now that may sound Pollyanna-ish. But the fact is that it is true. From the moment I put in, to the moment I enjoyed a nice downwind run back to the pier and through the offshore kelp beds, this was a good SUP workout and good practice for the future. I got a great balance and core strengthening workout and surfed 11 waves too (with very few other surfers in the water). Many of my takeoffs were late, and I pulled the nose out on several occasions. I got one parallel late takeoff that was a fun thrill, all good practice for when the waves are pumping.

On the way back home I stopped in the kelp beds to enjoy the view and take a few pics. I could almost have gotten back without paddling. The wind just blew me home.
October 26, 2007 (F)
In: 1425
1st Wave: 1455
Out: 1555
Wave count: 11
AT=57
WT=59
Wx: Clear skys and windy
Tide: 1.76 Falling to -05.5
Wind: Brisk at about 8 mph from the NW
Sea Surface: Wind rippled.
Buoy: NWS
1500: 9.2 @ 13.8 NW
1600: 8.9 @ 12.9 NW
1700: 8.9 @ 11.4 NW
1800: 8.9 @ 12.1 NW
10'4" Angulo SUP
Reefs: Rock and sand
Waves: 3.5' @ 11.5 (approx. ave.) Storm Surf Buoy Model

(All pics with Olympus 790SW)

No comments:

Post a Comment