Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Friday, June 24, 2011

Jay Race 2-Mile Practice Run

Another nice day on the Bay so I thought I'd launch from New Brighton and paddle down to the Jay Race site in Tola for a practice run at the 2-mile course. The race buoys aren't up but the route is easy, especially since the maps were published a few days ago. I probably went a little short but I got to double check the kelp bed locations which really aren't in the way much. If the south swell peaks as forecast for tomorrow it should make for some interesting conditions entering and exiting the water.

I attended the get together at Covewater with Candice Appleby and Anthony Vela which was informative and valuable. It's not too often you get to hang out with a couple champions who are so willing to talk about their experiences, boards, training programs, the whole nine yards. I was impressed by their knowledge and how articulately they expressed themselves. They are multi-discipline champs and surprisingly (to me at any rate) they will both be paddling traditional (prone) paddleboards in the 12-mile Jay Race. Thanks to Scott and Leslie at Covewater for hosting and for Surftech's Duke Brouwer for mc'ing the event.

Jay Race 2-Mile Practice Run




No comments:

Post a Comment