Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Saturday, June 4, 2011

New Quickblade Kanaha FG90 & FCS SUP Specific Adjustable Leash

Monday May 30, 2011

I was looking forward to using my new Quickblade Kanaha FG90 which I bought from Covewater a few days ago. Scott made quick work of cutting the shaft to size. I wanted the option of making it smaller so I deliberately asked him to cut it long. I can make another cut at home. Scott also gave me one of the new FCS SUP specific adjustable leashes to try.

I knew almost immediately after launching that the paddle shaft was too long. So at home I'll cut another inch or so off it and try again. Until I find the right size I use waterproof electrical tape wrapped around the paddle shaft and handle to hold it in place. It works great and doesn't move around. The handle is easy to remove in case further adjustments are needed.

The upwind leg to the L41 was a chore but I was surprised at how well the 12-6 plowed through the headwind and chop, and how I was able to move steadily forward to the destination. I definitely was glad to turn around and speed back downwind though. The 3.4 mile round trip (RT) took 35 minutes up, and 25 minutes back.



The paddle is perfect, not too big and not too small. My opinion about the dihedral is that it allows you to paddle a bigger blade with less effort and stress. QB's come in three sizes. 90, 100 and 110 square inches. Because I was able to demo Covewater's QB Kanaha 100, and realized that it was a bit too much paddle for me, I knew the 90 would be a good fit. With paddles and SUPs "try before you buy" has to be the mantra of any cautious consumer.

I liked the leash a lot. It was easy to attach and adjust and calf leashes are my favorite. I literally did not feel it on my leg. It just hung effortlessly behind me and didn't get in my way or impede water flowing over or around the board. This is especially nice in kelpy waters like ours where leashes can catch on stalks of kelp and drag you to a screeching halt. Check the FCS video out for info on the leash.

No comments:

Post a Comment