Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mile Buoy RT

Tuesday June 14, 2011

I wanted to do a short distance today in preparation for the 2-mile Jay Race on the 25th, just to get an idea of how long it would take. Since I don't really know how far out to sea a mile is, I chose the "mile buoy" as my goal. No rocket science needed. However I somehow managed to miss this skyscraper of a buoy in the fog. ("In the fog"...that's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it.)

Mile Buoy RT


EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in the Bay Area, California

I paddled straight out to sea from the beach, keeping my eyes peeled once I was well past the end of the wharf which is a half-mile long. In the fog it was a bit hard to see, but not that bad I thought. So...the first thing that came into view that looked like a buoy, I paddled for. I didn't know it for sure at the time, but it wasn't it. So having accomplished half my mission of reaching the buoy and feeling pretty sure that I'd paddled at least a mile, I rounded the wrong buoy and headed back. I never did see the "real" mile buoy. (The RT paddle turned out to be 2.3 miles so I accomplished my primary goal.)

In hind sight and after communicating with more experienced paddlers I figure I was too far west. I should have taken a more easterly track at the end of the wharf instead of heading west. Live and learn. Next time I'm on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment