Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Friday, March 28, 2008

South Swell and Rain

By 5PM this evening a steady, light rain was falling throughout the area. By 5AM this morning the first forerunners of a long period south swell were beginning to show on the nearshore, data stuttering buoy.

I launched at the pier around 1130 hours (about an hour after low tide) hoping for some boost from the rising tide and not expecting much from the new south. But I was pleasantly surprised by a number of waist to chest high, five to eight wave long period sets, which were much more consistent and sizable than I had hoped for. My plan was to paddle down to Sarge's and Gdubs. My back is still recovering from Monday so I thought a good paddle and perhaps an occasional wave would be good rehab. But when I saw that first eight wave set at Apt. House Point I knew I wasn't going anywhere soon.

No one was out but me (therefore the paucity of surf pics) and a skimboarder on shore. I couldn't believe it! Friday...the last Friday of Spring Break and the place was deserted. Granted, the waves weren't epic but there were many good rides to be had in excellent conditions. There were a dozen laydown guys out at Sarge's and at around 1230 a regular convention of janitors invaded. My last count was seven SUP riders at Sarge's...and no one but me at the point.

Both the weather (rain) and the surf (south swell) were accurately forecast by the NWS, Mark Sponsler's StormSurf and Adam Wright's southern california surf forecast. Adam's blog and forecasts are a great new "find" thanks to Jason's DailyBread blog in SoCal. It has been much easier for me to find resources to accurately predict North to West swells but finding good resources for south swells has been more difficult. Adam's website is outstanding, and a great indicator up here in NorCal for incoming southerly swells.

The day started out in bright sun and ended up with high cloud overcast. Based on Nate Burgoyne's suggestions on The Zone, and a column he wrote in his online mag, I switched out my Greenough cutaway for my trusty Preisendorfer Rainbow flex. I used the 2" Burgoyne Rule for a good starting place. It took a few waves to get used to the new feel. The board was solid on the wave face and perhaps a bit harder to turn, but overall the tail end felt a little more stable in the wave. I also got a good recommendation from Nate re a cutaway fin so I bought one with a credit I had at Freeline. The theory is that this 9" Future cutaway produces more drive from a beefier base, but the cutaway gives you more maneuverability and a "pivoty" turn. More on this after I try it out.

Since the sun was nearly overhead when I launched, and it's rays were harsh enough to be of concern, I decided to try my new "Indo" surf hat from Dakine. It worked great. Somebody ought to get employee of the decade for designing this hat, it's got everything, is very comfortable, and does what it's supposed to do...keep the sun off my face, ears and neck. It comes in "one-size-fits-all" which I think will be too small for people with bigger hat sizes. Mine fits me perfect and I wear a size that is almost exactly between S/M and M/L. For $30 it's a great deal. (Dakine makes a ball cap too which is also a big seller according to the sales folks at O'Neill's, where I bought the Indo.)

Finally, Evan had a very cool post of him surfing his new Blair 9'11" Quad SUP at Puena Point. He's looking very moderne in red surf shorts and dark glasses. It made me remember that I had a pair of surf sunglasses from SeaSpecs that I had received for free with something I bought a couple years ago. Today I gave them a try with mixed reviews. They are tinted brown (they come in gray too), and they worked great in the bright sunlight. But when it got overcast and the sea color blended with the sky color at the horizon, it was difficult to see which were the best waves in each set. It was difficult without the glasses too, but somewhat easier without the SeaSpecs on. Another slightly irritating thing about the glasses is that when they get wet you have to look through the water drops on the lenses. You can't really wipe them off, they just streak. (My wetsuit sleeve did the best job, but it was still kind of a hassle.) I did like the glare reduction though and will probably wear them again in bright sun. For distance paddling the glasses will be totally killer.
March 28, 2008 (F)
In: 1123
Out: 1300
AT= 53 - 58 degrees
WT= 50 degrees at the farshore buoy
Wx: Sunny and cool with incoming leading edge cold front clouds to increasing overcast
Tide: 0.85 Rising to 1.59
Wind: Light south/southwest at 3 mph, increasing to 6 mph with gusts at 10
Sea Surface: Smooth and glassy with bands of light wind texturing to fully wind textured
Buoy: NWS
The buoy is delivering sporadic data.
1000: 5.2 feet @ 19 Seconds South
1100: No data
1200: 5.6 feet @ 17.4 Seconds SSW
1300: 5.2 feet @ 17.4 Seconds SSW
1400: 4.9 feet @ 17.4 Seconds SSW
10'4" Angulo SUP with Infinity paddle
Fin set-up: 2+1 with 9" RFC Preisendorfer center fin and FCS GL sides
Rock reefs
Waves: 3 feet at 10 seconds (Nearshore buoy approx. ave.) Storm Surf Buoy Model

5 comments:

  1. Wow- only a couple of guys out and the surf looked like that!

    Sweet photo of that right. Keep us posted on how the cutaway works- I ran a big cutaway on my board once. It wasn't for me- your fin looks like it's got more base above the cut than mine did though- can't wait for the review.

    Onto the 'Patch tomorrow with some friends. I'll report back.

    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,

    I'll keep you posted on the new fin. New fins are kinda the poor man's way to get a new board...different fins always slightly change the way a board surfs. I'm surprised more people don't "play" around with fins.

    But that being said, plan shape, rocker and all that definitely "defines" what a board will and won't do, no matter what the fin config.

    Nice wipeouts vid btw. There isn't a surfer amongst us that can't say "been there, done that" after watching your vid. Who recorded that updated version of the tune...very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,

    After I posted (above) I searched around for some info on the 9" Future cutaway and came across your blog post (and vid) on January 19. It looks to me like you were moving the Mahi II pretty well with that flex fin installed. Things looked very smooth so what do you mean by a "stutter?"

    What fin (or fins) are you running now and why do you like it (them)?

    PS - In the spirit of the wipeouts vid of late, I especially liked the massive round house to face plant exit on wave #6 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Gary

    Surf's been blown and south wind choppy for the last two days- it's almost 7 am now and there's a stiff South wind on it.

    Got to feel sorry for the Catalina to Newport paddle teams that are taking off on the 37 mile run across the channel right now. Right into the wind! And choppy conditions too! Especially with a little bit of a NW swell and a south wind- nasty.

    I'm running the nine inch flex fin- I've gotten used to how it works. The flex and release- I'm feeling it now... pump and squirt kind of thing. I'll post a couple of photos of it- this template's got a really wide base and a thin tip.

    The stutter was the pause between pressuring the rail and the release of the power in the flex- a tiny little pause. Different than in a conventional fin which had a more direct (but kind of "dull") feel to it. But I've got the stutter figured out now. Stutter is soooo two months ago!

    The whippiness/stutter does mess me up a bit on round house cutbacks, there's a little pause and than there's the spring- the timing can screw up the carving follow through.

    When Mike get's back, ask him why you shouldn't leave a board in full sunlight and 90 degree ambient temps! Ouch. The board lady knows.


    John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike, Mike, Mike! How many times have we told you? Yeah...I live in constant fear that I'll put my board in the shade, or park in the shade for an hour and then come back to a shift that has exposed it to the full wrath of the sun. Bummer! Did he take it to the BL for repair or is he bringing it back up here?

    Interesting about the 9" flex. I'd love to see a pic of it. Is it shaped like the (clear glass) one in this post? I have to say that so far, in the 2+1 config, the flex fin is my favorite "go to" or fall back set-up. I love the Greenough cutaway you loaned me, but I like it best for noseriding, set back pretty far in the box, or all the way back.

    Also another thing I think I've discovered is that in beach break where turning out of the wave and getting back out to the line-up quickly is important, it's nice to have a board that turns more quickly when paddling. Both from a dead stop and after kicking out of a wave. A "looser" fin set-up is much appreciated in this type of surf. Turning my 10'4" Olohe quickly in frothy, unstable water with a stiff fin set-up can be something of a chore.

    I know the stutter of which you speak and I guess I've always just liked it. I like the dynamic of pushing the board over and then feeling that snap back an instant later. I've surfed the flex fin pictured in the post for a lot of years in lots of different size boards from hybrids to performance longboards to now, the Angulo SUP. Like I said, overall the flex fin "genre" (if I can say that about fins) is my fav.

    I'm enjoying the Fin Recommendations thread on the zone which has some good thoughts going on it. http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1109.0

    I'm looking forward to trying the board as a thruster by using bigger sides. You got any thoughts or recommendations on that? Been there, done that?

    I'm looking to buy a smaller (7') lay down shortboard for summer beach break and the one I think I want uses the two slot (FCS type) fins. Of course I have some killer (one slot) future shortboard fins. Now I get to go spend $50 on even more...aaarrrggghhh!

    I finally posted a review of the Angulo Olohe in the Zone product review section. There's another in there too by SUPirate. I wrote mine without looking at his 'cause I didn't want it to influence what I thought. Remarkable though how our conclusions I think are very similar. http://www.standupzone.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=40

    Thanks for all your comments, thoughts and insights btw, as well as your constantly informative blog. Really much appreciated and valued.

    Oh, and how much shizizit should I give Mike for trying to destroy Mahi I? Or have you raked him over the coals pretty good already...which is of course your brotherly duty! ;-))

    ReplyDelete