Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Wind Swell Continues; Water Temp Drops

Well, I didn't make it out yesterday for a walk and pics. I got sidetracked in Freeline talking with James about a summer fun board for the beaches this year. He suggested the Surftech Channel Islands Flyer II. I'm also looking at the Surftech RF Mac and GSI Webber Fatburner (probably too short and not enough volume). Or maybe John will shape me a custom, although I get the feeling that he is just as happy to sell me a production board. (He may even make better markup on it than a custom.) Everything is in the seven foot range to accommodate for my age and growing lack of flexibility. (I just can't pop-up on a six footer like I used to.)

I think it will really be fun (and a great workout) to take the SUP and the shortboard out for morning surfing. When it's too small to surf town, and too big to have a lot of fun in the beach breaks with the SUP, I can take the shortboard (or hybrid) out for a surf after a good paddle on the SUP...or not! Life is so good...so many options!

Satellite pics today show the windswell pattern still with us and sending lots of wind swell waves our way. The IR sat pic shows a moisture plume over us. The cold front has passed through, mixing out the inversion layer and voila, no fog. On the ground we're looking at high thin cloud cover with some more solid clouds occasionally filling in.

Noticeable now is the declining water temp, typical for Spring with the northerly winds indicating the upwelling soon to start up. Today's temp at this writing is 50.5 degrees, and that feels pretty cold. So just as the sun starts to heat up the atmosphere and you're thinking of ditching the 5-4-3, don't. Remember, if you get too hot in your suit, the easy part is cooling off.

No comments:

Post a Comment