Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Four New Links Added

The first is a great SoCal wave forecasting site by Adam Wright. Lot's of usable info and resources, also a thorough wave tutorial and in-depth surf spot guides with great pics and maps. A definite keeper and a good way to stay advised of south swell activity that might be headed up north.

Although I don't practice this wave riding discipline (primarily because of my own personal back/arthritis issues) mat surfing is something I got turned on to a few years ago by meeting Dale Solomonson in the forums at Swaylocks.com. A consummate waterman, engineer, technician and practitioner, Dale is the man. This isn't his blog, but it is a great portal into a very cool aspect of surfing, that is often overlooked and denied by those who think they know. It is published by a fellow SoCalian (I'm a long time ago transplant to NorCal) who is as obviously hooked on mats as I am on SUPs. (If you think mat surfing is lame then you must not have ever heard of George Greenough, one of the god fathers of the shortboard revolution.)

The final two links I've been meaning to post for a long time but just have procrastinated. No longer. Wuji Master Duan is over 90 years old and someone I would aspire to be when I grow up (which will probably never happen as long as I call myself a surfer). I've been practicing Qigong for almost a year for it's healing effects and because it is very gentle but active dynamic stretching. I can't say that I can testify to the more esoteric benefits of Qigong (Qi = energy, Gong = work, i.e. qigong - energy work) but I can attest to Qigong's calming and meditative aspects, while at the same time putting mind and body through a gentle stretching and strengthening workout. Following Master Duan's link is a sample Qigong form that would be easy to learn. (I learned my 40 minute daily Qigong forms from a video presented by Linda Modaro titled "Discovering Chi - Energy Exercises for the Beginner.")

No comments:

Post a Comment