Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Friday, April 4, 2008

Small South Swell

And no way to get my SUP to the beach. With the standard surf vehicle dead, Plan B needed to be implemented ASAP. In a little less than two hours I purchased and installed a new Yak rack on the "new" surf vehicle and by 4PM was on my way to Point Prow for a two hour surf in waist to chest high waves. I had to surf alone for the first hour, and then was joined by Nick (pictured here). Another cold front moving through, but this time no rain.

Seems like we're getting a lot of south swells these days for the season. Hopefully this is a harbinger of good things to come this summer.
April 4, 2008 (F)
In: 1630
Out: 1815
AT= 63.1 - 65.5 degrees
WT= 51.6 degrees at the farshore buoy
Wx: High thin cloud cover
Tide: 0.5 Rising to 1.9
Wind: Calm to light then freshening east/southeast
Sea Surface: Light texture to glassy to increasing wind texturing and roll
Buoy: NWS
Sporadic buoy data
1100: 4.6 feet @ 16 seconds SSW
1200: 4.3 feet @ 16 seconds SW
1700: 3.6 feet @ 16 seconds West
1800: 3.6 feet @ 14.8 seconds WSW
10'4" Angulo SUP with Infinity paddle
Fin set-up: 2+1 with Future 9" Cutaway center fin and FCS GL sides
Bathymetry: Rock reefs
CDIP: 2.9 feet at 14 seconds from 305 degrees and 2.4 feet at 14 seconds from 195 degrees

2 comments:

  1. I've always liked your water pix. How are you stowing your camera when it's not in use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anon,

    On the main page of my blog under Links (just under my SRFNFF license plate) click on "Search Srfnff". When the search page comes up type in "camera neck strap". That will give you that part of the story.

    I just tuck the camera into the top of my wetsuit with enough of the strap sticking out that I can quickly grab it and pull the camera out to take a pick. This works pretty well most of the time. Sometimes the camera will hang up a bit, but my shots aren't professional, they're just snapshots and a way to document the day's surf for my blog. If I miss a shot...oh well, I'll try to get another one later. Usually the people who get their pic taken are pretty stoked.

    When taking pics safety is the bottom line. I'm not IN the water with fins and therefore very maneuverable, I am ON the water on a somewhat unwieldy SUP that doesn't duck dive or get out of the way quickly, and I've got a camera in one hand, and a paddle (or balancing it against my chest) in the other hand. I had one crash early on because I was trying to get "the" shot. That'll be my first and last crash because of photography.

    Since then it's all been good and fun, so I hope you get many enjoyable and great shots.

    ReplyDelete