Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Saturday, May 3, 2008

South Starts To Fade

Even though I got started at the same time this morning (0600) and I had the advantage of a lower tide than yesterday, size was diminishing and the sets were more inconsistent. I surfed for about an hour and a half again and got plenty waves, but smaller and longer waits.

Doc Nancy and her hubby paddled out after a half hour or so and stroked into some good ones. Waves were definitely bigger up the line, but on a Saturday morning with word out, you can't beat one to three people in the line-up.

Once again I was lured away from the better, earlier waves by some nice lines at Apt. House Point. My first wave was climb and drop luxury, just like I like 'em. I squirted through a couple sections and tried to squeeze out the doggie door but just couldn't quite make it. By that time I was washing into the cliff rip-rap with an outside wave looming. I managed to crash through the white water (always a dicey situation on the stand up board in anything over waist high foam) and paddle over the rest of the set's cresting waves without incident. On several rides I was able to catch an outside wave at Bat Ray's, kickout inside, catch another at Apt. House Point, kickout inside and catch another at Dick's. Sweet, and a great way to multiply the wave count.

But, who's counting?
May 3, 2008 (Sa)
In: 0604
Out: 0730
AT= 41.8 to 44.6 degrees
WT= 49.5 degrees at the nearshore buoy
Wx: Overcast with patches of fog starting to clear
Tide: 1.3 Rising to 2.81
Wind: Light easterly offshores
Sea Surface: Glassy in the kelp beds to light wind ripples
Buoy: NWS
Sporadic buoy data
0100: 3.9 feet @ 17.4 SW
0200: 3.3 feet @ 16 SSW
0800: 4.9 feet @ 16 SSW
10'4" Angulo SUP with Infinity paddle
Fin set-up: Thruster with Bluecoil 5.5" center fin and FCS Occy sides
Bathymetry: Rock reefs
CDIP: 1.5 feet at 9 seconds from 305 degrees and 2.6 feet at 17 seconds from 195 degrees

No comments:

Post a Comment