Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Friday, February 15, 2008

Brother Joe Update

Brother Joe tied into some fine ones today. In his words: I went out at about 12:30, it was as early as I could get there. Tide was low and on the upswing. The buoy was reading 20 second intervals, I didn't even look at the wave height as I franticly switched off the computer, gathered the essentials and strapped down the stand up board on top of my Toyota. Upon arrival, the wind was blowing a bit but there were some good waves coming through with a slight chop on the surface.

I paddled out at GW's, then set course for our usual spot. After cruising past Sarge's, a nice outside set wave came through. A few hard strokes of the paddle and I was in. The wave was overhead to head high. After a good ride I popped over the top to paddle back out but to my horror, there was nothing but huge close out sets lined up as far as I could see barreling down on me. I gave it every effort to punch through but only got carried closer and closer to certain collision with wharf. I wisely chose to pick my own destiny and take a wave into the beach and land at a place of my choosing instead of risking collision with the pilings.

Upon exit, I walked down the beach and re-entered south of the wharf and easily made my way back out. More monster sets came through but I pressed on to Sarges before trying for another ride. I took a few more waves from there being careful not to get caught inside again. The NW wind was continuing to build. I decided to take one more. Soon, another giant set arrived and I was the only one there at outside Sarge's. I dropped in on this wave that was easily one and a half times overhead. I got a fairly long ride then pulled out to avoid the close out section. That was my last wave. What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment