Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Saturday, November 10, 2007

As Southie Fades NW Waiting in the Wings





It's a satisfying feeling to know that I actually got most of this now departing November south swell. Being retired has a lot to do with it (even though I'm still working two part-time jobs). I had enough holes in my schedule to surf every day of the swell, and on one day, two sessions.

I found a cool forecasting tool in that one of the forecasting websites puts up Current Swell and Surf Analysis data (click on the chart that depicts the fading swell in columns of surf height and period) and Historical Surf Height (HSH) which depicts in bar graph form the condition of the swell in 72 hour increments. In future one could track the HSH chart looking for trends that might indicate a rising or falling of the surf heights. I did this on the last swell. Using this data, and utilizing the other online forecasting tools that are on the web, heading to the beach knowing there were, or would be waves, was almost guaranteed.

When I looked at the online surf cam this morning I saw waves and no one out! I couldn't believe it. Saturday morning, surfable waves, and no one out? Everyone must be feeling as satisfied as I feel. "I got mine!" So this swell has to go down as one of the best late south swells in history. It delivered some decent waves of consequence for almost a week and brought a lot of smiles, happiness and satisfaction to our surfing community.

But that's not all...our created NPAC (the fundamental forces that created our world still being in effect) wants to get in on the act too with a small Gulf swell looking like it might be filling in today (see the trend in the chart?) and a larger Gulf swell forecast for Monday.

Did I say "Life is Good!"?

No comments:

Post a Comment