Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Small Consistent Waves






The big swell that came ashore over the weekend has dropped down to a whisper of it's former self, but it is still delivering small, fun waves to the local breaks.

Skies were clear and warm and I was back in my lighter wetsuit, no hood, no booties. The solar gain kept me nice and toasty...too toasty and I enjoyed my first wipeout and the cool down it brought. Red tide is still with us, water a rusty brown color. Visibility is a bit better though, instead of six inches it's about twelve inches.

I paddled out late as tide was high at dawn. Gdubs was empty and I surfed it alone for about 40 minutes. It was a complete merry-go-round almost the whole time. There were a couple nice sets and I picked off three or four shoulder high walls that broke into and across Tweeners. Wind came up about 1030 but before that it was glassy with light offshores...near perfect.

I changed a couple camera settings on the Olympus based upon several email conversations I had with K1 of the Daily Bread blog. I think it was helpful and the image clarity has improved. But it was sunny and bright today so the light situation was vastly better. Still have to try the low light stuff but there is a "cloudy" setting I'll use next time in addition to the "fine zoom on" setting. Also downloaded the manual and have started to read it! Duh...

Met Sakato and her husband who had the week off from Apple. Nice! And also met Pat a SUPer from Foster City who makes the trek two or three times a week. He got the SUP bug in Maui this summer and as they say, the rest is history. He was on a 11' Jimmy Lewis. Good to see another old guy like me out there learning something new. He said he just cashed his first Social Security check a few months ago and the first thing he did was buy a SUP. Go Pat!
November 20, 2007 (Tu)
In: 0840
1st Wave: 0847
Out: 1050
Wave count: 20+
AT=55
WT=57
Wx: Clear and sunny
Tide: 4.1 Falling to 1.9
Wind: Light offshore to calm to light WNW
Sea Surface: Glassy
Buoy: NWS
0800: 8.2 @ 9.1 NW
0900: 7.5 @ 9.1 NW
1000: 8.5 @ 10 NW
1100: 8.5 @ 12.9 NW
10'4" Angulo SUP
Rock reefs
Waves: 5' @ 12 (approx. ave.) Storm Surf Buoy Model

No comments:

Post a Comment