Srfnff

Srfnff
January 9, 2012 Photo: J. Chandler

Thursday, November 8, 2007

November South Swell Fades













If we experienced the forerunners of this fine swell on Monday, then we are experienceing the slowly winding down ending of this southie today. I paddled out with Mash, MikeyB, and Scott first thing this morining on a high and rising tide. The shore pound was heavy during the sets. Mash took off for GW's right away and scored numerous nice walls. MikeyB, Scott and I stayed at Sarge's and rode smaller rollers. Everyone scored some good ones.

I eventually paddled over to GW's to join Mash as I wanted to get some pics of him surfing his Angulo Nui. On one set I rode the first one in, kicked out and positioned myself to shoot a pic of him, screaming down the face of the second wave of the set in perfect trim. Unfortunately I cut it too close and in a great move on his part he avoided a collision by kicking over the top of the wave. But we both went over the falls. The boards and leashes tangled. I ditched my paddle and held on to the camera for dear life. I came up in a tangle of boards, leashes and flying paddles to see a white tail block heading for my face muy rapido. Fortunately the brief contact only resulted in a chipped lower front tooth. (Don't worry Ma, I'm still pretty!) The collision also sheared off one of my side fins. Thank God neither one of us suffered serious injuries or damages.

As a testimony to the ultra durable construction of the Angulo SUP there was not one scratch, dent, blemish or crack in either board. Later I swung by one of the surf shops in town and picked up a set of FCS GL's and I was back in business for the evening session.

Moral of the story: Dude, the pic is not that important, and...if you see the Srfnff out in the water with his camera...give him a wide berth. He's not smart enough to figure that out himself.

The second sesh I just had to get in as I couldn't let this swell go. It's just been too sweet. This was low tide coming up and I sampled all the reefs the higher tides hide from the Pier to Sarges. Nice Fall SUP surfing.
November 8, 2007 (Th) First Session
In: 0642
1st Wave: 0650
Out: 0745
Wave count: 8
AT=56
WT=60
Wx: Heavy high fog and overcast
Tide: 4.5 Rising to 5.12
Wind: Glassy
Sea Surface: Smooth with backwash bumps
Buoy: NWS
0700: 4.3 @ 16 SSW
0800: 4.3 @ 16 SSW
0900: 3.9 @ 16 SSW
1000: 4.3 @ 14.8 SSW
10'4" Angulo SUP
Rock reefs
Waves: 5' @ 15 (approx. ave.) Storm Surf Buoy Model

November 8, 2007 (Th) Second Session
In: 1600
1st Wave: 1609
Out: 1715
Wave count: 10+
AT=57
WT=60
Wx: Mostly cloudy with fog clearing and temps warming
Tide: -0.05 Rising to .51
Wind: Glassy
Sea Surface: Smooth
Buoy: NWS
1500: 3.9 @ 16 SSW
1600: 3.9 @ 16 SSW
1700: 3.9 @ 16 SSW
1800: 3.6 @ 16 SSW
10'4" Angulo SUP
Rock reefs
Waves: 4' @ 15 (approx. ave.) Storm Surf Buoy Model

3 comments:

  1. Ouch- glad everyone was okay- block punched eh? Happened to me one time by an 11' Skip Frye longboard, I was surfing without a leash a Sunset Cliffs- board got away from me- I saw it surfing on its own, so I bodysurfed after it, evidently it nosed down and shot back- you guessed it- block punched to the mouth- almost lost my two front teeth. Ten cuidado!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, So you got the photo right? Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that's the bummer...I DIDN'T get the shot! (And it was a really good one too...) I can relate to the Sunset Cliffs event...I think that's happened to all of us at one time or another...only most of the time you dodge the bullet.

    And like I said before...sign me up, I'm ready for the Baja trip. Michael and I are making plans...we're making a list and checking it twice...Viva Las Olas de Baja!

    ReplyDelete